Sunday, November 8, 2009

I met a woman who lived in Palmer, just an hour from Anchorage but up on a mountain plateau surrounded by even larger mountains. Both of us were enjoying the sunset together when she said that living there is not only about beautiful sunsets. "You know," she said, "the wind blows so strong up here that you have to be careful. Last winter when the wind was blowing and there was ice on the doorstep, I pulled up to the house with my six year old twins. I managed to get into the house with a sack of groceries, but I forgot to tell my sons to remain in the car until I could come and get them. So together they jumped out of the car and blew away! Yes, just like tumbleweed they blew around to the other side of the house and down the gravel driveway. They were pretty beat-up with cuts and bruises, crying and all. But they are fine now." Who knew it was even possible for children (other than Dorothy from Kansas) to blow away?

1 comment:

  1. I have heard the wind can be incredible, but I never imagined one would have to tether one's kids to keep them from blowing off!

    ReplyDelete